2019 Uwharrie Trail Thru Hike
Uwharrie Trail Thru Hike
Three Rivers Land Trust, in partnership with the Uwharrie Trailblazers, would like to officially announce the dates for the 2019 Uwharrie Trail Thru Hike: October 10 – 13!
Have you heard of the Uwharrie Trail? At 40 miles, it is the longest single-track footpath in central North Carolina. The Land Trust and other conservation partners have been working for the past 20 years to reconnect this trail, and thanks to these efforts it can now be hiked in its 40-mile entirety. The Uwharrie Trail is known for its cultural and natural significance, including such unique features as old gold mines, rare plants and wildlife, ghost stories, and more. Join us for an awesome backpacking trip through some of the oldest mountains in the world, as we pay tribute to the trailblazers and uncover the secrets of the past.
The thru hike will go from south to north, and we provide transportation to the start (Wood Run Trailhead on Highway 24/27) from the end (Tot Hill /Talbott’s Branch trailhead on Tot Hill Farm Road) on the first day of the hike.
Rules and Requirements:
- This is a backpacking trip, so everyone will be responsible for bringing and carrying their own gear and food. We recommend a pack weight limit of 40 pounds.Campsites will be near roads, so if you are interested in joining in for only a portion or in slack packing, that is an option but you must arrange for your own transportation.
- IF YOU REGISTER FOR THE FULL 4-DAY THRU HIKE, YOU MUST HIKE THE FULL 4 DAYS. We are not allowing registration for only a portion of the hike, unless you sign up for the Saturday day hike. If you cannot commit to the full four days, please do not register as you will be taking someone’s spot who can do the whole hike. YOU CANNOT HIKE WITH US UNLESS YOU ARE REGISTERED – we hike through some sections of trail that are not open to the public at this time, so it is not possible to do this hike on your own.
- No dogs on the hike, please.
- No alcohol will be permitted other than what the trail angels provide. We are also requiring a quiet time of 9pm at night when noise should be kept to a minimum. Most people will be winding down and finding their sleeping bags by that time anyway, so as a courtesy to others we are requesting that you limit noise after that time.
- There is a required fee of $70 to join the Thru Hike. This includes a cookout the last night, a commemorative tee shirt, and a one-year membership in the Land Trust. We are also in need of trail angels to help out with logistics. You’ll receive a free tee shirt for helping. Any additional donations will go directly towards our work reconnecting the trail and are fully tax deductible.
- The hike is four approximately 10-mile days with camping at established camps: Yates Place, Jumpin’ Off Rock, and the (future) Walkers Creek Trailhead. We will send a more detailed map of the route closer to the date along with some final information and details. Youth must be 16 or accompanied by an adult. All participants must sign a liability release form.
Uwharrie Trail Half Hike
Our first ever Uwharrie Trail Half Hike, hosted by the Uwharrie Chapter of Three Rivers Land Trust, will take place April 6th and 7th. Registration will open with the full Thru Hike on January 31st and the price is $50.00. More details will be announced soon!
Uwharrie Trail Thru Hike: $70.00
Uwharrie Trail Half Hike: $50.00
Both Hikes: $100.00